here it is...
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek series...yep I said it the best one. I liked Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I love DS9. Before everyone goes out of their head, the Original Series and James T Kirk well they are incomparable so we will stick to the later series. Here's why I love DS9, although I love Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart you are the man who started my love for bald men), Benjamin Sisko I mean he is sooo cool.
Let's go over the ways:
Bald head, Check
Cool goatee, Check (he's a Star Fleet officer with a goatee, totally awesome)
Black man, Check
The Emissary, Check
Avery Brooks with some cool ass line delivery, Check
I could go on.....
Then there is Garak, I have to say one of the best sociopathic murderers ever on TV. example:
Captain Sisko: Who's watching Tolar?
Garak: I've locked him in his quarters. I've also left him with the distinct impression that if he attempts to force the door open, it may explode.
Captain Sisko: I hope that's just an impression.
Garak: It's best not to dwell on such minutiae.
There is Odo, shapeshifter, Jadzia Dax, symbiont, Kira Naris, Bajoran, Julian Bashir, Doctor (kind of the only character that is a bit douche-baggy). Lastly there is some great writing and some great story lines, having the show on a space station instead of a starship allows for more story arcs and much better character development. I believe I have made my case.
Now the biggest thing that TNG has going against it, except for the awkward men miniskirts in the first few episodes, is that it allowed Wil Wheaton to play Wesley Crusher a precocious pre-teen and teenager, who somehow finds himself on the BRIDGE OF A STARSHIP! REALLY! Ok it is not that I blame Wil Wheaton for this, ok yes I do blame him a little bit, but seriously we are out is space on a starship and you allow a teenager to be the pilot of your starship, how outlandish is that. I realize he is supposed to be all super smart and as a teenager watching TNG I was super jealous that he was able to be on the bridge, but come on people spend years in Starfleet just to be a nameless ensign and die on the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Stop taking all the glory Wesley. There was also the writing on TNG.
As for Characters well the is Number One William Riker, totally cool, Data, cool android (who doesn't love a greenish android with no emotion), Worf, even cooler Klingon, Deana Troi, eh ok empath whatever, Dr. Beverly Crusher (Wesley's mother, she's cool but for birthing that kid, and somehow using her, what I would classify as inappropriate, relationship with Jean-Luc to get Wesley on the Bridge of the enterprise).
There are two other Star Trek's, Voyager and Enterprise. Voyager you tried but in the end, your nice but I am just not that into you. Enterprise, well, you on the other hand were a mess, a crazy mess and I had to walk away. Plus I have just never really liked Scott Bakula, Capt. Archer was just boring. I do have to say Kate Mulgrew as Capt Janeway always felt like she was really interested in what you had to say, so I am looking into your soul and seeing the real you with a smile even though you are just telling me there is a nebula ahead.
Well that's it DS9 best Star Trek series, I am pretty sure I am going to read this in the morning when I have slept a little bit more and it is not going to make any sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment