Erin stated the last time I spoke with her that I needed to write more political or socially minded blogs basically write what I think in my head when I listen and watch, listen, or read the news.
Ok here it is
I have the overwhelming sense that we as a nation, society, species, are collectively "fiddling while Rome burns". Rome can be what ever you want it to be...climate change...U.S./World economy...the degradation of the US education system...the widening gap between the rich and poor...and on and on.
So far what have we done to combat global climate change.........NOTHING.....not one damn real thing...meanwhile our planets climate changes...so on one side we have the Michelle Bachmann's of the world who say carbon dioxide is totally natural...well so is uranium but no one advocates that nuclear weapons are ok because uranium is natural...lets see high concentrations of uranium in one place equal HUGE EXPLOSION...high concentrations of carbon dioxide equal WARMER PLANET. Then there are the people who state we don't know if global climate change is caused by humans and human activity. Ok.. WHO CARES. We know what is good for humanity and it is a stable climate and unstable warmer climate is bad. So why not try to keep the climate in a state we are comfortable with. After all we have made most of the planet a freaking park for our comfort why just sit back and do nothing while nature takes it apart. To live on this planet we have to keep it habitable and to live happily and healthily we must keep our climate in check. I don't care about the fact that the world may get warmer and we may or may not be the contributing factor. I care about New York City being under water because the ice caps are melting. Or how about not just New York City but the whole eastern and western sea boards.
My attitude toward any conservation effort is this...I want to save a particular space because it is beautiful not because it is natural. I want to save gray wolves not because they are gray wolves but because they help to keep an ecosystem functioning in a healthy manner and I would like to see that ecosystem some day. The world would suck if there was no wild life. I hate treehuggers that want to save the planet because it is somehow more important then humanity. Earth will get along just fine with or without humans. We need to save the planet because it makes us more comfortable.
Lets be pragmatic, regardless of who or what is causing global climate change it is happening and we should combat it. For the very simple reason it will make us happier, crazy weather, famine, disease, sea level change all make for unhappy humans.
so tired...more on the economy later this weekend...lets just say shame on you Mr Obama and shame on all of you Senators and Representatives...you are all asses...
No comments:
Post a Comment