Saturday, July 9, 2011

One More Week

I have done it, done it after so many years of complaining and not doing it. What is it? You ask an important question, and I will answer it. It is....I have quit my job at Bank of America. After many years, many frustrations, and many missed opportunities. After many take overs, and drinking the BofA kool-aid, and then becoming disillusioned by the fact that BofA wants you to drink the Kool-aid but doesn't actually believe in what it wants you to drink. I have quit. I am going to work for a different financial institution and I can't wait. This coming Friday is my last day with BofA.

In other news, I have had a double ear infection. Ok, seriously, what adult 34 year old still has ear infections. Ear infections in both ears....arg....so I am on heavy duty drugs because I believe that my doctor is just as tired of my ear infections as I am. Ear infections suck btw.

It was a crazy week in the US and Grand Rapids...two things happened that, I believe affirmed my faith in two things...1. The U.S. justice system though flawed like any human institution is the best in the world...2. There is not God....Heavy....
So I will do it like everyone else in the blog-o-sphere, I will talk about Casey Anthony. I will say that though I have feigned disinterest in this trail I have been glued to my TV. I am one of the 4 people in this country I believe who don't actually think that Casey Anthony is guilty. I am not sure if she is innocent of involvement but I don't think she actually did the crime, and I think a jury rightfully found her not guilty. Why did they find her not guilty because of a terribly circumstantial case against her, a bad prosecution, and utterly needless expert witnesses (odor experts, really). Now does this mean I think that Casey Anthony is a good person or made good choices, not at all. She is obviously pathological, and narcissistic, and knew what happened to her daughter, none of which means she killed her daughter. Did Caylee Anthony get justice...NO she didn't...The thing is that our justice system is only to determine guilt not to mete out justice. Finding someone guilty or not guilty of a crime can sometimes mean justice but, also, sometimes it means nothing but they are guilty under the law.

This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.


Justice is incidental to law and order.  ~John Edgar Hoover


Although the legal and ethical definitions of right are the antithesis of each other, most writers use them as synonyms.  They confuse power with goodness, and mistake law for justice.  ~Charles T. Sprading, Freedom and its Fundamentals


Law is not justice and a trial is not a scientific inquiry into truth.  A trial is the resolution of a dispute.  ~Edison Haines


Now the think that reaffirms my lack of belief in God....the recent shooting spree in Grand Rapids...A man killed 7 people and then himself. Two children lost their lives...on top of this there are millions of people starving, living in abject poverty, being beaten for speaking out, enslaved, being massacred for their religious beliefs or ethnicity, and the list goes on. And I am to believe that all of this is part of God's plan, that God is good...no...I...do...not...accept...this... explanation...Go ahead make yourself feel better for believing you will go to heaven, that we must accept the suffering of this world in order to have eternal salvation. Come on...that is an excuse not to do anything about the problems in the world around you. An most religious people I have encountered care nothing of people, they care about laws, following this or that rule. Funny how God is much like a government, follow the laws and be a good boy or girl and maybe I will give you a reward. I just can't do it...it is so patronizing...I am just trying to save your soul many religious people say, when in reality they want you to follow their rules, don't step out of line, conform to our principles. It is a bunch of garbage to keep people down, keep people sheep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment